I cannot wait for you to listen to today’s episode with special guest, Neil Greathouse!
Neil is a board-certified diabetes educator, director of the Bike Beyond documentary, filmmaker, and educator who provides daily videos about T1D through his Instagram @thebetes. He has also led seven mission trips to remote cities in Peru to provide diabetes supplies and education to the people there.
He wasn’t always so active in the diabetes realm, though. In 1992, after spending four years, seven months, and 11 days in training for the United States Air Force, Neil was diagnosed with type one diabetes and discharged from the military.
In this episode, we discuss...
- How Neil’s denial that something was wrong with his body during Air Force training led him to go blind for a week and have a dangerously high blood sugar reading of 1800.
- How his rock bottom moment led to him reclaiming ownership of his diabetes.
- How he manages his diabetes while going on trips to remote places in the world
- How important it is to feel seen and heard as a type one
- How Neil works to spread positivity online in the diabetes space
Follow Neil on Instagram HERE.
Hit the subscribe button and rate and review to help this podcast rise!
Follow me @lauren_bongiorno and @riselyhealth on Instagram to stay in the loop for when new episodes drop.
Send me a DM to introduce yourself with any feedback, questions, or suggestions on topics you’d like us to cover in future episodes.
RESOURCES FOR YOU:
For Newly Diagnosed T1Ds HERE
For T1D nutrition strategies and 7 day meal plan - HERE
Get more T1D tips HERE.
Disclaimer: Nothing you hear on the Reclaim your Rise podcast should be a substitute for personalized professional medical advice. Please always consult your physician or other medical professional before making any changes to your diet, insulin dosages, or healthcare plan.